NEWEST AUAS-IDI SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT: Jamie Guined has been selected as the 2016-17 recipient of the Academy of Underwater Arts and Science’s full-tuition scholarship to attend the International Diving Institute’s nationally accredited, four months long, Air/Mixed Gas Surface Supplied Diving Course, the completion of which results in certification that is required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for many types of diving jobs.
This scholarship is awarded annually by the Academy of Underwater Arts & Sciences (AUAS) and the International Diving Institute (IDI), and is worth $18,000. The selection of the scholarship recipient is not based on need, but on the superior merit and past accomplishments of the applicant, so receiving it is considered to be a major honor. It is supposed to go to a qualified applicant that the AUAS feels is most likely to promote and advance public awareness, knowledge and discovery in one or more of the underwater arts and sciences through their future diving related work.
IDI’s Core Curriculum includes:
- Diving Physics
- Diving Physiology, and Medicine
- Decompression and Treatment Tables
- Hyperbaric Chamber Operations
- Underwater Tools and Equipment
- Diesel Engines and Compressors
- Topside Welding and Cutting
- Underwater Welding and Cutting
- Dive Operations Planning
- Offshore Oilfield Diving
- Inland Diving
- Mixed Gas Diving
- Ship and Sea Salvage Operations
- Ships Husbandry
- Hydraulics and Pneumatics
- Dive Hat Maintenance
- Seamanship and Survival
About Jamie Guined’s Education:
- MBA (Master of Business Administration), Georgia Southwestern State University, Americus, GA, July, 2009
- Ed. (Master of Education) Health & Physical Education, Georgia Southwestern State University, Americus, GA, July 2006
- S.Ed. (Bachelor of Science in Education) Exercise Science/Wellness, Georgia Southwestern State University, Americus, GA, July 2002
Some of Jamie Guined’s Awards & Distinctions:
- Bravo Award (Individual), Wyle Laboratories Bioastronautics, 2011
- Bravo Award (Team), Wyle Laboratories Bioastronautics, 2010
- Alpha Chi Honor Society 2001-2005
- Charles H. Wheatley Continuing Education Scholarship 2001-2002
- All-American Scholar 2001
- National Dean’s List 2000-2002
- Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society 2000-2001
- Hope Scholar 1999-2002.
Some of Jamie Guined’s Professional Experience:
- Founder & Executive Director, SeaSpace Exploration & Research Society Inc.; April 2015—Present
- Vice President of Marketing, Integrated Spaceflight Services; Boulder, CO; September 2014—October 2015.
- Exercise Scientist/Cost Account Manager, Exercise Physiology & Countermeasures Project & Neurosciences Laboratory; University of Houston, Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas; September, 2008-February, 2015.
- Medical Fitness Director, Sumter Regional Hospital, Americus, GA, March, 2008—August, 2008.
- Intern, NASA Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, FL, 2002.
Jamie Guined has been published: in numerous peer-reviewed journal publications & conference proceedings
Some of Jamie Guined’s Certifications and Professional Affliliations:
- Aerospace Medical Association (ASMA), Member
- American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS), Member
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), Member
- American Heart Association, Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- American Physiological Society (APS), Member
- American Red Cross, CPR, First Aid, AED Instructor; Bloodborne Pathogens Instructor
- Clinical Exercise Physiology Association (CEPA), Member
- Divers Alert Network, Member
- Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), Member
- Explorers Club, Fellow National ‘16
- Functional Movement Systems, Functional Movement Specialist
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), Performance Enhancement Specialist
- National Speleological Society (NSS), Member
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Project PoSSUM, Scientist-Astronaut Qualification
- SeaSpace Exploration & Research Society, Founding Member
Some of Jamie Guined’s Field Work & Scientific Expeditions:
- October 2015—Present, Mission Stage, Underway: PHEnOM Project (Physiological, Health, and Environmental Observations in Microgravity). Principal Investigator & Mission Commander. Ground analog and microgravity research missions that will utilize parabolic aircraft and reusable suborbital launch vehicles (rSLVs) to conduct biomedical, bio-engineering, and environmental physiology research relevant to the space industry.
- October 2015—Present, Mission Stage, Planning: Project Poseidon 100-day Undersea Expedition at Aquarius Reef Base. Principal Investigator & Expedition Leader.
- September 2015—Present, Mission Stage, Planning: Mars Desert Research Station Crew 163. Mission Commander of a 2-week analog Mars surface mission.
- September 2014—Present, Mission Stage, Underway: R2H2O Expeditions; missions using OpenROV and AUV technology to conduct research, photo/video documentation, mapping, and conservation of springs and underwater cave systems located in the Floridan Aquifer and Flint River Basin regions in North Florida and South Georgia. Principal Investigator & Expeditions Leader.
- March 15—30, 2013, Mission Stage, Completed: Mars Desert Research Station Crew 138. Mission Commander of a 2-week analog Mars surface mission.
About the Academy of Underwater Arts and Sciences (AUAS):
The AUAS is an international, multi-disciplinary, non-profit organization dedicated to recognizing pioneers and leaders who have had a global impact on the exploration, enjoyment, safety, and preservation of the underwater world. The AUAS is committed to supporting its members as they pass on the stewardship of the sea to future generations. In addition to the AUAS-IDI scholarship, AUAS awards the Zale Parry scholarship each year, but the AUAS is best known for its NOGI awards. The NOGI is the oldest award in the diving world and is considered by many to be the most prestigious, with the NOGIs often being compared to the Oscars given by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).
About the International Diving Institute (IDI): IDI is a member of the Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI) and trains to the standards published by the Association of Commercial Diving Educators (ACDE); the American National Standards Institute (ANSI); and the American Welding Society (AWS).
IDI is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training (ACCET). ACCET has been officially recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for almost 50 years as a “reliable authority” as to the quality of education and training provided by the schools they accredit.
IDI became an official training facility for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 2015, and in 2016, under a government contract, IDI started teaching underwater welding to U.S. Navy SeaBees Underwater Construction Team divers. This was the first time that the U.S. Navy ever farmed out this type of training, and, in January of 2017, IDI expects to be officially certified by Navy Sea Systems Command (NADSEA) as the first “civilian training facility” for the U.S. Navy, which IDI believes shows the quality of its facility, staff, and instruction it offers.
IDI is also a Lloyd’s Register approved training provider. IDI has been designated a “Military Friendly School,” and U.S. veterans can use their Post-911 GI Bill benefits to attend. Some of IDI’s students attend under Vocational Rehabilitation programs, and other state and federal benefits and loan programs, including Federal Student Aid.
Some examples of Commercial Diver Jobs are:
- Offshore Deep Sea Diving
- Bridge Structural Inspection
- Demolition and Salvage
- Pipeline Construction
- Nuclear Power Plant Maintenance
- Dam Inspection and Maintenance
- Offshore and Inland NDT Inspection
- Platform Installation and Removal
- Television and Filmmaking
- Underwater Civil Engineer
- Fish Farms
- Offshore Wind Farm Installation
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Dr. E. Lee Spence via [email protected]
#Academy_of_Underwater_Arts_and_Sciences #AUAS-IDI-scholarship #IDI #International_Diving_Insitute #idiCharleston.edu #diving #diving_scholarships #commercial_diving_scholarships #underwater_scholarships #diver_training_scholarships #underwater_diving_honors_and_awards # diving_jobs #Jamie_Guigned_receives_diving_scholarship #Dr_E_Lee_SpenceShare